ART MUSIC STORIES STYLE AND JOKES.

Monday, 18 October 2010

From Across theee Water.

Time: 23:17hrs
Date: 13/10/10
Location: Bedroom, Llandaff, Cardiff, WALES.
Position: Half slouched against pillow and knees up to rest laptop on. Hands tapping and hovering above light up buttons (YES macbook pro maaaaate) it is brilliant, I can punch away in the dark and not have to worry about getting up to turn the light off in a half concious state.
Activity: Fullfilling desire to update blog.
Reason: In recent lectures, it has been proposed and strongly encouraged we log our thoughts and interests digitally as well as analoge. It allows you to be open to all doors in the creative industries. A blog or online journal is essential for others to view your work. It also is a more clean way to store your thoughts and reflections.


I find blogs challenging. I don’t want to sound like an arse, or dumb/illinformed infact. Therefore, I take too much time scrutinizing the sentences I write. I don’t read a lot, therefore I feel I can’t form sentences that well. Or articulate my point in the clearest way. I’ve probably re written the past sentance about 4 times but pffffft, at least I’m giving it ago! I suppose that’s all that matters. You learnt from yourself this way. If you have an exciting idea you want to share, you innately want to find the right language to express this. I really enjoy getting the theasaurus out. I once said to myself I’d try to learn a new word a day. Maybe I should get one of those post-it-esques calendars that provide this desire. I want good words though, words I can frequently chuck into everyday phrases to make me sounds intellectual, darling.

Well I’ve been living in this big house for about a month now, started my new course and lost my double bed v-plates along the way. I cannot express my opinions about this new course without using clique phrases like ‘it’s amazing’ and ‘having the time of my life’ because frankly, they’re both true.

(my room isn't really this tangoey)

Evers since I left school, I have been waiting to discover a new light. A place where I no longer linger in the past but instead can put my whole heart into what I want out of the future. College showed me the way, foundation saw me the light, now this degree is the solar system times 89.

I have a place here, I am part of a community among like minded people. NEVER in my life have I ever felt so liberated and comfortable in my own skin. The emphasis of being unique allows you to feel ok about sharing your visions and quirks with people. I feel I can speak and they will listen and be sincere however ludacrious/serious the subject might be.

Illustrations are from a trip to Abercavenny during our introduction week. Meet Hank! ^

I don’t want to write a sob story of how repressing some periods of my life have been, but it is hard to avoid when feeling so elated about the present. The past month has flown by, and I know the next three years will do too. So I am going to do my best to document it in all kinds of mediums. I may throw in a video log just for the crack; day 67, I drew a light bulb today! (holds up picture of lightbulb) hmm.

My days have been full of laughter, stories, ideas, plans, imagination and enthusiam. The tutors want you to get on board the Illustration boat (or bike?ha) and take full steam ahead. They have been on exciting journeys and want us to see the wonderful, fun and exciting world of illustration. They are life changing people to me. Most of my art teachers have been because they nurture your creativity to help you see something beautiful.

^ Silent old couple in 'Lugi's' cafe. i had egg, beans and saute potatoes for lunch. yummy.

The days turn to weeks and I feel as if my feet aren’t touching the ground. I am in a reality where I am another personality; a free spirit. I can no longer lay in bed in a meaningless state. The cogs in my mind get ticking and sooner or later, I have to get up to deal with this restlessness. Hence the name of my blog. I just have too many god damm ‘text message drafts’ that go stale in my phone!

Artists don’t have ‘time off’, it is impossible. If you could turn off your brain off you could. It overtakes your life, keeps you up at night and takes you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Inconvienent and frustrating it may sometimes seem, but I feel so unbelievably lucky that I am this way. I mean, I get to chat to interesting people everyday, make up stories, listen to great mixtapes made by the tutors (YES AMELIA!), play the piano, draw out the obserities in your mind and generally feel inspired. No more monotonous lectures and academically wrong memory test exams! Huzzah! woop! yay!

^We climbed a huuuge hill and saw a bunch of other ones, in the window you will see The Sugar Loaf hill.

Illustration is all about playing. Playing with ideas, possibilities, people, materials and reality. I’m basically in a massive playground, finding and discovering new toys and ways of seeing that will shape and colour the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment